Monday, April 19, 2010

Bistro Dinner at 450 Calories!

Okay, I know that's not super low, but once you see what I put together, you won't believe it wasn't double that.  Here's the even better part: it only cost me $7 for 4 people with enough left over for my daughter's lunch tomorrow!
Italian Chicken Melt

I started with 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts and pounded them between wax paper until 1/4 inch thick.  I then sprinkled both sides with salt, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning blend.  A little drizzle and massage with olive oil on both sides, then they were off to a smoking hot grill pan.
Can I tell you how much I love this cast-iron grill pan my husband found at World Market?  Check out those perfect grill marks!  It only took about 4-5 minutes per side because of the thickness.  Meanwhile, I took my bread store crustini rolls and laid them out on a stone-ware pan.  I sprayed the insides with olive oil spray, sprinkled them with garlic powder, and then put 2 tablespoons of low-fat mozzarella on the top of each bun.
Under the broiler on high till toasty and bubbly.  I also took some bottled marinara (Napa Valley Bistro) and heated a cup of it in the microwave.  Then on to assembly:  a bottom bun, a tablespoon of marinara, 4 ounces of the chicken (the 3 breasts made 5 servings), another tablespoon of marinara, a little fresh shredded basil from the garden, then the gooey cheese bun.  Benissimo!
And the sandwich came in at 370 calories.  Add another 80 for a light and filling salad to go along with it and you are set.  Are you wanting to watch your carbs?  Forget the bun.  Broil the cheese on the chicken directly and you cut 170 calories!

This felt like a full-blown cheat meal: fully-satisfying and rich.  Give it a try and let me know what you think.  By the way, the whole meal was made in about 20 minutes, too.  I love it when a plan comes together!

No comments:

Post a Comment