Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Traditional Red Beans and Rice with a Healthy Twist

Nothing says love to me like a big pot of beans simmering away on the stove-top. Red Beans and Rice is a dish I have loved all my life, way before I became a Louisiana transplant. Beans, ham, and sausage: what's not to love?

I adapted this recipe from the Cookin' Country Cajun Cookbook, a veritable wealth of Cajun recipe staples and history. Did you know that Red Beans and Rice were cooked on Mondays while the ladies did the laundry?  What a satisfying end to a long day of hard work, even today. This recipe relies on the simple but complex flavors from the Trinity: onions, celery, and green bell pepper. You chop a whole bunch of the vegetables very finely, and it all cooks down to form the richest tasting gravy that just envelopes the lovely, tender beans. Okay, now I am drooling. Thank goodness for leftovers.

Having a husband with a family history of heart disease means the pig is not always welcome around here.  I have made it my mission in life to still eat the foods I love but in a healthy way, and this recipe is no exception. So, instead of seasoning the beans with the usual ham hock, I trade off with smoked turkey legs instead. The dark meat of the turkey has the same texture and flavor as ham but with about 15% fewer calories and 25% less fat. You can also substitute any lean sausage you like or add more turkey. Now substitute brown rice for white, add a little Tabasco, and you are well on your way to a healthy, filling meal with none of the sacrifice. 

Laisser les bons temps rouler! (Let the good times roll!)

P.S. I have a request in to share this amazing cornbread recipe with you. It will be your new all-time favorite. I'll keep you posted.

Links:
  1. Traditional Red Beans and Rice
  2. Alton Brown's Baked Brown Rice (The best way to make perfect brown rice every time!)
  3. Cookin' Country Cajun Cookbook

No comments:

Post a Comment