Thursday, February 7, 2013

Honey Sesame Shrimp

I just love Steve Raichlen! If you don't know him, he is the author of The Barbecue Bible, Barbecue USA, and other great cookbooks. He truly is a master of all things grilled. I started watching him years ago on PBS on Saturday mornings and have cooked almost everything I saw him make. Check out my post where I used his Best Ever BBQ Beans recipe for Labor Day!

This is another home run, but you all know I can't leave well enough alone. I have to change things up a bit. In this case, I wanted to lighten the dish up a bit by omitting some of the sesame oil. More importantly, the changes I made were in an effort to give you a quick cooking lesson in substitutions. How many of you keep fresh ginger in the house? What, no hands? How about green onions? Sometimes, but not all the time. So what I want you to learn to do is look at a recipe and be able to accommodate it with what you have on hand. No fresh ginger? Simply use a little less in powdered form, about 1/4-1/3 as much. No green onion? Heck no onions at all? Go for some onion powder, again about 1/4 as much. I also added a little soy sauce to darken the marinade and add the needed salt.

Just because you don't always have what you need for a recipe doesn't mean you have to either run to the store or scrap it for another day. With a few substitutions and a little ingenuity, you can still have dinner on the table in no time!

Are you ready for the calorie count for a whopping 6 ounces of shrimp?
  • Total calories: 224
  • Total fat: 6.6
  • Carbohydrates: 9.4 g
  • Protein: 23.8 g
 Who says eating great can be great for you too? Happy eating!

Links:
  1. Honey Sesame Shrimp on the Barbie
  2. Steve Raichlen
  3. Labor Day

No comments:

Post a Comment