Friday, February 15, 2013

Pork Tinga Tacos

This is by far my favorite taco recipe on the planet. The flavors are so intense...Mexican oregano, chipotle, fire-roasted tomatoes. Genius! I took a recipe by my favorite Mexican chef, Rick Bayless, and simplified it a bit using techniques I have learned over the years. I also lightened the dish a bit by using pork tenderloin instead of shoulder. I had just over an hour to have dinner ready but with a few adjustments it was quicker and just perfect for a spicy Valentine's.

I served the Pork Tinga on corn tortillas with crumbled Queso Fresco cheese. If you have not tried Queso Fresco, imagine a salty, crumbly version of mozzarella: subtle but luscious. I also had some leftover frozen Rice with Pigeon Peas (Arroz con Gandules) that I simply thawed and mixed with cheese, sour cream, and salsa then stuffed into poblano peppers for a quick side dish. They cooked at the same temperature as the pork so I just added them to the oven the last 20 minutes. A quick guacamole and the meal was complete. Savory, satisfying, and healthy as well.

I want to stress again how it really pays to cook in bulk and freeze when possible. The Rice with Pigeon Peas and Pork Tinga both freeze wonderfully, so make a point to cook extra and freeze portions for more weeknight meals. Happy eating!

Links:
  1. Pork Tinga
  2. Rice with Pigeon Peas (Arroz con Gandules)
  3. Rick Bayless

No comments:

Post a Comment