Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Happiness is True Friendship

I spent last week sitting in the hospital beside a dear friend (Mrs. P) who has been a second mother to me for the last 10 years. It has been a roller coaster of emotions: anger, sadness, confusion, exhaustion, helplessness...I made the long drive because this family has been such a blessing to me over the last 10 years. We have made an unbreakable bond, and I felt compelled to be by their sides through all of this.

But this isn't about patting myself on the back for being a good friend. This story is about 4 women who have taught me the true meaning of friendship. I drove half-way across the country, not having seen any of these people in nearly two years. Yet when I arrived I was given a place to stay, treated to unlimited coffee (a must when sitting around a hospital for a week), encouraged, and strengthened. Three friends came to the hospital and visited, not having ever met Mrs. P. One is a nurse practitioner, another is a physician's assistant. They unhesitatingly gave Mrs. P their direct numbers and have been helping with her care. Then they stayed to encourage her as well.

They say you never truly know who your friends are until the worst happens. This past week was living proof. I am so grateful to have a network of friends who are truly family, and I can only pray that one day I can return the favor.

So I challenge you today. How can you touch one person's life this week to ease their burdens?

Happy Living!

No comments:

Post a Comment