Friday, May 7, 2010

California-Style Chopped Salad with Shrimp

This is a great recipe from Giada de Laurentiis.  It is so light but surprisingly filling.  The secret is the fat from the olive oil and avocados makes you feel full.  Fats turn off your hunger, which is why it is so important to incorporate good quality fats into your daily meals.  What's even better is that nearly the whole dish is cooked on the grill.  Did I mention I hate cleaning the kitchen?  The dressing is just as easy to make: only 5 ingredients in a jar and shake.  Pictures can be deceiving, so I'll give you exactly how much of each ingredient I used: 4 oz. of shrimp, 2 cups of lettuce, 2 tablespoons of corn, 2 large cherry tomatoes, 1/2 cup of zucchini, 4 slices of avocado, and 2 tablespoons of dressing.

Now, are you ready for the calorie count on this plate full of food?
  • Total calories: 382
  • Total fat: 21 g (3 g saturated)
  • Cholesterol: 150 mg
  • Sodium: 200 mg
  • Carbohydrates: 24.5 g
  • Fiber: 8 g
  • Sugar: 8 g
  • Protein: 28 g
You can easily add some more shrimp for a larger portion, which would increase your protein without adding many calories or fat.  I cooked one small zucchini and one ear of corn per person, and I used two pounds of shrimp.  This easily gave me enough leftovers for two lunches the next day.  I always make a point to cook a little extra when possible to save time and money.  I hope you enjoy it as much as my family.  Please post a comment when you try it out.  Happy eating!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment