Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Spectacular Mother's Day Breakfast

Mother's Day is so special to me because I have two wonderful children that make me smile every day.  I wanted to pass along a quick and easy breakfast for you to share with your family.  I know this isn't exactly health food, but I always advocate a cheat meal here and there, especially on holidays.  It's what makes life worth living, if you ask me.

Here's the menu:
A frittata is just an omelet for the "flipping-impaired." I have to admit, I am the WORST at making an omelet. It nearly always ends up as scrambled eggs. If you are making omelets for more than two people, a frittata will really save you some time and is so simple to make. The finished product is beautiful.  The recipe link shows you how to use any number of ingredients in the frittata, but I chose simply ham and cheese since nearly everyone will eat that.  Feel free to improvise with whatever ingredients you have on hand.
Now you may ask, "What is a Whop 'Em Biscuit?"  It's what I grew up calling Monkey Bread. It's a simple biscuit sweet bread made with canned, refrigerated biscuits. My Mimi always called them Whop 'Em Biscuits because you had to "whop" the can on the counter to make it open. So, this one is for you, Mimi.

This is a great beginning recipe to get kids involved in. What child wouldn't love digging his hands into butter and sugar?  Here are three variations to choose from:
A couple of baker's notes:
  1. Try to NOT use a dark pan when baking these. It makes a caramel-sauce that will burn if it gets too hot. If you only have a dark pan, lower the oven temperature 25-50 degrees and cook them a little longer, just until the biscuits are set and not doughy.
  2. Every oven is different, so you may need to adjust cooking times. I see posts on the internet all the time complaining that the recipe didn't cook as directed. The bottom line is that it probably won't exactly. A good rule of thumb is to keep a close eye on it the first time you cook it, and note the time it takes in your oven. Then you will have fool-proof directions for the next time you bake it.
I hope these quick recipes allow you to have more time with your family and friends to truly celebrate Mother's Day.  Make it a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment