Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Southern Chicken Salad

Believe it or not, I was a very picky eater most of my life.  I think I finally broke out of my shell when I tried guacamole at the age of 20-something.  It was a life-altering experience.  Since then, I will try almost anything.  So all you parents of picky eaters, fear not.  They CAN grow out of it, eventually.

Until recently, I was not a chicken salad fan either, but I can say without reservation that this is the best chicken salad I have ever eaten.  I didn't change the recipe much.  The only differences were that I added another 1/2 pound of chicken.  I generally find that most recipes call for too much dressing.  Adding the extra chicken gave it just the right amount of ingredients to dressing ratio.  Also, I didn't cook the chicken in wine.  I just used the baked breasts I prepped for multiple recipes during the next couple of days.  See the link for directions.

Here is the calorie count using light mayonnaise:

  • Total calories per serving (6 servings): 234.8 g
  • Total fat: 8.6 g (sat. 1.7 g)
  • Cholesterol: 78.4 mg
  • Sodium:  482.3 mg(not including added salt to slaw)
  • Carbohydrates: 11.2 g
  • Fiber: 0.8 g
  • Sugar: 8.4 g
  • Protein: 26.5 g
This is a perfect summertime lunch or dinner.  Happy eating!

Links:
  1. Southern Chicken Salad
  2. Baked Chicken Breasts (Dinner-on-the-Run post)

No comments:

Post a Comment