Saturday, June 12, 2010

Turning Lemons Into Lemonade (or Messed-Up Cupcakes Into Pie)

I have a confession to make.  I totally screwed up the first batch of strawberry cupcakes.  Not paying attention, I put the powdered sugar for the frosting in the batter instead of the flour.  Arghh!!!!

After a moment to myself (I wouldn't dare cuss in front of the children) I started over from scratch.  But, I couldn't bring myself to throw away the batter.  My grandmother would roll over in her grave to see me throw away all those strawberries and eggs.  But what the heck was I supposed to do with strawberry puree, eggs, sugar, and more sugar?  I put it in the fridge convinced I would have an epiphany later on.

Then it came to me.  Pie!  What about making it into a custard-style buttermilk pie?  So today I added some buttermilk, flour, more eggs, a little strawberry extract, and poured it all over big chunks of strawberries in the bottom of a pie shell.  I had no idea if it would even be edible.  So I baked it, chilled it, and waited.

With trepidation I cut the first slice.  I took the first bite.  I don't remember anything after that.  I think I heard the choir eternal singing in the distance as a warm glow spread through my body.  Seriously, it was that good!  Sometimes it amazes me that what we think will be the biggest screw-up of our lives turns into a blessing in disguise.  Isn't it beautiful how God works that way?

Links:
  1. Strawberry Custard Pie
  2. Mrs. Anderson's Baking 10-Inch Aluminum Pie Crust Shield

No comments:

Post a Comment