Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Skinny Eggplant and Chicken Parmesan

I really think I must have some Italian genes because Italian food is the most comforting thing in the world!

Let's face it, though.  It's not always the best food for you, at least not in our bastardized American way with plastic, melted cheese, and a pound of pasta for one serving.  Remember that true Italians walk everywhere, including to the market each morning for fresh ingredients.  Here in the States, you can hardly compete with that.  Yet, where there is a will, there is a way.

This Eggplant and Chicken Parmesan will make you think you are in the Italian countryside but without all the guilt!  The key is baking as opposed to frying.  Not only is it easier and takes less time it also saves you the mess of frying all those eggplants.  The main thing I want in Parmesan is a crispy crust, so I don't layer the dish with sauce and cheese like the traditional version.  I just top them with hot Marinara sauce and cheese before plating.  This is also great if you have leftovers.  You simply pop them back in the oven to re-warm, and they will still be crispy.

You probably want to know about the sauce I made.  No offense, but who really has the time to do that, especially considering all the great quality sauces available now?  My favorite is Merzetta's Napa Valley Bistro Marinara, but I also love Amy's Organic and Muir Glen Organic.  Use whatever you love.  Pair this with a dry, oaky Chardonnay and buon appetito!

Links:
  1. Skinny Eggplant and Chicken Parmesan

No comments:

Post a Comment