Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Honey-Mustard Grilled Chicken

I have a few criteria I always look for when I browse through recipes: quick, tasty, low-cal, and quick.  Oh, did I mention quick?  When I came across this recipe it looked so silly I nearly passed it by.  Yeah, yeah, honey mustard.  Nothing special.  The only thing that changed my mind were all the glowing reviews.  I figured there must be something to it.

Believe me.  You are going to use this recipe again and again!  It takes less than five minutes to prep and only 15-20 minutes to cook.  I made one change and that was to sear one side first before I started basting.  That gave the sauce less of a chance to burn.  I also saved a little for dipping at the table.  Low heat is the key to cooking these breasts, so just keep a meat thermometer handy and cook until 160 F in the middle of the thickest part.  When you take them off the grill, cover them with foil for another 10 minutes to rest.  The result is a juicy, flavorful piece of chicken.  I really could not believe how much flavor permeated the meat without any marinating time at all.  Prep a couple of veggies or salad while they are grilling, and you will have a wonderful dinner in no time.

An added bonus is that you can use it in so many ways.  I grilled enough for my daughter to make wraps for her lunch tomorrow.  Try this: grilled chicken, lettuce, cucumber, blue cheese, pecans, and a little of the saved sauce either as a salad or a wrap.  Or how about grilled chicken, pineapple, coconut, and cashews mixed with a little light mayo and bit of the sauce for a sweet chicken salad.  The possibilities are endless!  Let me know of any ideas you have, and post them for everyone to share.

I can't stress enough that a healthy, home-cooked meal can be just as fast as the drive-through.  Your family will thank you and your body will thank you too.  Happy eating!

Links:
  1. Honey-Mustard Grilled Chicken

No comments:

Post a Comment