Saturday, May 22, 2010

Chicken Lo-Mein with Peanut-Ginger Dressing

I keep saying this, but what a great recipe!  I really chose some great ones this month, even if I had to do some alterations.  That, to me, is half the fun of cooking: when you make a dish your own.  I didn't particularly like the idea of a cold salad, so I transformed this into lo-mein.  I used whole wheat linguine, which proved to be the best part of the dish.  They stay firm and a bit chewy, reminiscent of Asian-style lo-mein noodles: a perfect addition!  I left out the hot stuff and opted to use Sriracha as a condiment instead, which is a definite must if you have anyone sensitive to heat.  Another great addition was cole-slaw mix.  I am always looking for ways to add vegetables, and I had this left over from the Fish Tacos earlier in the week.  I just added what was left of the bag towards the end of cooking.  The sauce is terrific, but next time I would opt for unsweetened peanut butter.  See which way you like it.  Here is the calorie count for the recipe I used:

  • Total calories per serving (8 total): 404.8 g
  • Total fat: 10.3 g (sat. 3.8 g)
  • Cholesterol: 70.5 mg
  • Sodium:  859.1 mg
  • Carbohydrates: 48.1 g
  • Fiber: 7.1 g
  • Sugar: 6.3 g
  • Protein: 35.9 g
My only complaint is that the sodium is still high, even after using low-sodium soy sauce.  There is a surprising amount of sodium in the rice vinegar, so I will start looking for a low-sodium version of that as well.  How did yours turn out?  Let me know.

Links:
  1. Chicken Lo-Mein with Peanut-Ginger Dressing
  2. The Low Down on Lo-Mein

No comments:

Post a Comment