Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Green Chile Chicken Stew

I have a slight obsession with Chuy's in Austin.  My sister introduced me to them about 7 years ago, and I must eat there every chance I get.  If you are not in the Austin area, take heart.  They are expanding.  Check out the link for the restaurant nearest you.

This time of year is especially great to visit the restaurant because it is time for the Hatch Chile Festival, starting August 30th.  My brother-in-law, who has a cast-iron stomach, was the first to let me sample Chuy's Hatch Green Chile Stew. He even ordered it with a side of roasted serrano peppers.   It was love at first bite!  I warn you, this dish is not for the faint of heart.  But, if you are like me, and love spicy food, you have to give it a try.  And, yes, it kinda looks like green toxic waste.  Ignore how it looks.  Your house will smell heavenly!

I scored some of the first fresh Hatch chiles while in Texas this week and decided to try to copy the recipe myself (see link below).  The version I made was with mild Hatch chiles (I didn't want an emergency room trip with my 3-year-old).  You won't get the heat of the Chuy's version, but you could always substitute hot chiles or add more chiles to taste.  I topped my serving with chopped hot Hatch chiles for added heat.  To really spice it up, add in a few of those roasted serrano peppers or serve them on the side for the adventurous.  Sour cream and cheese make great toppings as well.

This recipe produces a huge pot, but I cook like this so I can freeze a batch or two for later.  Cook smart, not hard.  Happy (spicy) eating!

Links
  1. Green Chile Chicken Stew
  2. Chuy's

1 comment: