Monday, August 23, 2010

Chicken with Hoisin Sauce and Siu Mai Dumplings

These are probably my two favorite Chinese take-out items.  I love the slightly sweet and salty chicken with the crunch from the cashews.  The only thing better is a plate of steamed dumplings.  So here are both!

I acquired Yan Kit's Classic Chinese Cooking when I married my handsome hubby.  It was the first cookbook he bought as a bachelor, and he would make the chicken dish for me on date nights.  Love at first bite!  (I apologize for the horrific pun.)  It is so simple and can really be adapted to taste.  I always add some extra veggies.  My choice here was broccoli but sugar snap peas or green beans would also be great.  The only change in the recipe was to add the broccoli to the onion and garlic and cook until just browning and tender. You can add in a few splashes of the sherry to get some steam going.  Remember the Broccoli Strascinati?  Same concept.  Then continue on with the rest of the instructions.  Feel free to add or subtract Hoisin sauce to your liking as well.

The dumplings are equally easy to make.  I use one pound of ground pork and leave out the shrimp, making 36 dumplings in all.  This is perfect to make half and freeze half for another day.

Not only will you cut the calories by making it yourself, you can give yourself the tip you would have spent.  You deserve it!

Links:
  1. Yan Kit's Chicken Glazed in Hoisin Sauce
  2. Siu Mai Dumplings
  3. Broccoli Strascinati

No comments:

Post a Comment